Roof Leak Detection & Mitigation
If you have a leaking roof, Green Valley Roofing & Construction can help. Major leaks can constitute an emergency because they can cause flooding and extensive structural damage to your roof and property as a whole. However, even small holes can cause significant issues, including water damage, rot and mold. Fortunately, our team will quickly identify the source of leaks and perform thorough repairs to resolve the problem.
What Causes a Leaking Roof?
From storm damage to age-related deterioration, a few issues can cause a leaking roof, including:
- Clogged gutters: If you have damaged or clogged gutters, they cannot divert rainwater from the roof. This can cause a backflow in which water accumulates under the eaves and seeps through the roofing system, resulting in a leak.
- Loose flashing: Flashing is the thin metal sheet that acts as a barrier around roof openings, like the chimney and vents. Moisture can cause flashing to rust over time, loosening it and making it slip out of place.
- Broken or missing shingles: Storms, high winds and even squirrels can damage or dislodge shingles, exposing the roof underlayment to the elements.
- Roof age: Shingles and other materials deteriorate with time, making the roof more susceptible to leaks. Most asphalt shingles last about 25 years, whereas metal can last about 50 years on average.
- Defective caulking: Caulk can dry and separate from the flashing, leaving a gap through which moisture can infiltrate.
Signs of a Hidden Roof Leak
Leaks are not always immediately apparent. Water often travels, so it may take days for moisture to seep from the leaking roof through the ceiling and into your home. Often, the first signs are brown or yellow water stains on the ceiling or walls. You may also see warped wallpaper or cracked or bubbling paint. From the exterior, missing shingles may be visible. If mold develops, you might see it or smell a musty odor.
Schedule a Roof Inspection Today
Time is of the essence when it comes to leak mitigation. If you are a Birmingham area resident or business owner needing roof leak repair or other repairs, turn to Green Valley Roofing & Construction. Submit the online contact form or call (205) 791-5800 to speak with a friendly team member and to request a free estimate.